When it comes to a critical thinking test, it should be shaped it a way that it allows an employer to make conclusions quickly and effectively without spending much time judging a potential employee on needless skills. The test should be comprehensively framed in such a way that neither is it too difficult and neither is it so easy that everyone who takes it finds it a piece of cake.
What should a higher order thinking test look like and what should it aim to asses?
- A higher order thinking test should strive to analyse and synthesize the skill set of the students and their abilities so that they can easily apply and evaluate the information provided by them.
- These tests should focus on the thinking skills of a person but shouldn’t be extremely rigid. Flexibility is the key for a variety of subjects. Not just that, it should apply for all types of contexts and situations. This is because different organisations require a critical thinking test. It’s not that a critical thinking test is designed for one work space and not for the other. Most of these tests are designed in general for a number of firms and groups of people so they aren’t specific unless a big firm employs people to design these tests so they can select the best from the lot.
- It should take account of everything. Starting from the stark differences between two subjects and particular processes, to the skills and affective dispositions, everything which is crucial to the subjects, should be present.
- These tests should put a lot of emphasis on prime, enduring and fundamental types of intellectual ability, both of which are fitted into the changing pace of transition and deeply placed and embedded in the long history of improvement and progress of disciplines.
- It should help the organisation to improve the instruction process. They should play an important role in making sure that the interconnectedness of one’s abilities and knowledge comes out easily and they need to allow the expertise in one area to merge with others. They need to make sure that one finding should not be divorced from another one. The test should be such that it doesn’t asses unimportant findings and is extremely versatile which makes sure that they can understand who will be a responsible, smart and decision making member of the organisation.
- Not just that, a test should be based on extremely well thought out criteria, goals, and rational standards. You can’t expect a person who has come for the job interview of a painter to be an architect. Unrealistic questions should be avoided. The only goal should be to understand how suited a particular candidate is for the job he is looking for.
- A critical thinking test should focus on the communication and problem solving skills of a person. Even though the focus should essentially be on those two aspects, no feature discussed above should be compromised.
- You can’t focus on something only people from a particular region are good at. Cultural diversity should be the focus of everything planned for a cultural diversity test because you cannot advocate that. You have to focus on something that caters to all the people who come for the test and you can understand the traits and abilities that are common to all cultures.
- Not only does an employer get an idea about the candidate but he also understands that an active engagement of candidates who construct their own understanding and knowledge gives them a better outlook on each one’s perspective.
- A person’s knowledge and understanding should be communicated easily to the person conducting the test or marking the test.
One of the main things while getting a critical thinking test to work is to make sure that it concentrates on assessing the cognitive structures of communication effectively. For example:
- When you’re reading or listening, it’s important to create a very lasting impression to assess the purpose of the person who’s giving the test.
- Identifying quickly and accurately the questions that are important issues and the important problem that is being discussed at length.
- It is important to identify what is exactly said or written and see the important implications of the said or advocated position.
- It helps to identify, evaluate and then understand whatever assumptions are underlying someone’s post or position.
- They try to identify the candidate’s spoken and written presentation and they also reasonably check and assess how credible a candidate is.
- How accurately has the candidate understood the point of view of the speaker/author and how he can empathetically reason with that, is also understood.
- The person making the test and analysing the person must see to it that the right candidate should be able to express his views and implications.
- A candidate should be able to make everything clear, starting from what they are taking for granted to assuming and presupposing. To defend their positions, they must give logical, relevant and fair justifications for all the arguments.
- Not just that they have to formulate, see, understand and take proper account of different alternatives and alternating positions. The opposing point of view and the subject being defended by the candidate should all be taken into account so that it can be seen how the evidence is evaluated and how many key assumptions have been made with supporting facts.
- One’s basic central concepts with proper significant examples should be illustrated and kept to show exactly how they work in real life situations.
- It is very important for the examiner or the person assessing the test, to not have any internal bias or against the examinee and must learn to empathetically encourage strong objections that come from another point of view. Everything should be taken into account and everything must be applied to real situations if the words are used metaphorically.
When a candidate submits the exam, the examiner should make sure that everything or most of the things written by the examinee can be applied to the values and notions of the company. It should assess the skills and the abilities of the candidate in such a way that the examiner can see them being applied in the actual context of making sound decisions. Their point of view should tell everyone how much they understand their responsibility as citizens and well informed and assertive consumers who actively participate in the world economy.