Permanent Account Number or PAN is a 10-digit unique identification number assigned to every citizen of India, mostly taxpayers. The sequence in PAN includes digits as well as alphabets. All tax-related information regarding an individual is recorded against his/her PAN identity.
The Income Tax Department allots a PAN to each individual as well as provides a card, which displays his/her name, date of birth, photograph and the PAN number. A PAN card serves both as an identity proof and an age proof. Unlike other documents, PAN card reissue is not necessary in case of a change in address.
What to do when your PAN is misplaced?
In case your PAN card gets lost or stolen, the first step you need to take is to report an FIR in the nearest police station.
Once this is done, you need to have the lost PAN card replaced by a new one. For this, the individual has to approach the IT department.
Two agencies which are responsible for issuing PAN card are –
One has to avail the reprint PAN card facility from any one of these two agencies, depending on where the original or lost PAN card was issued from.
Considering the significance of the PAN card, losing it could lead to unnecessary hassles. One way to ensure substantial protection for your PAN card is availing a wallet care insurance plan. It includes the facility to reprint PAN card for free, in case you end up losing it.
With such an insurance policy, an individual will receive compensation for the expenses paid to avail a duplicate PAN card.
Also, losing your PAN card can lead to identity theft. Hence, you can also avail an identity theft insurance plan to keep yourself financially secured when resolving the same.
Process to apply for a duplicate PAN card online
If you are wondering how to get a duplicate PAN card, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps for having your lost PAN card replaced –
- Go to the official website of NSDL or UTIITSL.
- Select ‘Changes or correction in existing PAN data/ Reprint of PAN card (No changes in existing PAN data)’.
- From the available options under this block, select ‘Individual’.
- Enter all the required details including details of Aadhaar card, date of birth, PAN number, address for communication, contact details, etc.)
- Submit the form and proceed with the payment. You can make the payment through net banking, credit/debit card, or demand draft.
- After the successful payment, you will receive a unique 15-digit number, which is to be used for further correspondence. Through this number, you can track the application status of your PAN card reprint.
- After the verification is complete, the PAN card will be mailed to the address provided by you.
To apply for a duplicate PAN card offline, you will be required to send the necessary papers and documents to the NSDL office along with the demand draft.
The documents that will be required to reprint PAN card are –
- Self-attested copy of identity proof.
- Self-attested copy of address proof.
- Self-attested proof of DoB.
- Self-attested copy of PAN card or PAN acknowledgement letter.
To receive the replaced PAN card faster, you need to ensure that you fill-up the details in PAN card reissue application form correctly.
PAN is a crucial KYC document, required for several transactions. Hence, you can opt for Pocket Insurance & Subscriptions like Purse Care offered by Bajaj Finserv to financially protect yourself when you misplace your PAN or debit/credit cards.
Other than when your PAN card is lost, the need to replace it might arise in case of any damage to the card or information change regarding the cardholder.