SEO consultancy service is a byproduct of Google’s popularity as the number 1 search engine in the world. Search engine optimization (SEO) involves the steps you follow to make your business surf-worthy and prominent in cyberspace. In other words, SEO develops your online presence, and if you do everything right, in a few months’ time, you start getting visitors. How will you know that your SEO works? If you are offering services, people will start calling in, to avail those services. And if you are a manufacturing company, people will start buying your products.
It is a slow process, to begin with, but if you are persistent, your hard work pays off in a couple of months in the form of ‘organic traffic’.
What is SEO Consultancy?
SEO consultancy is figuring out a way to rank your business in Google. For instance, if you have a company that develops software programs and you are looking to gain clientele, SEO seems to be the only solution. After doing SEO, if someone types ‘software development companies in Fresno’ in Google and your website comes on top or somewhere on the first page, it means whoever did your SEO, knew their craft well.
What does an SEO Consultant Do?
The primary purpose of running a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) consultancy business is to develop your commercial presence online. Since Internet has become a standard medium for many companies to sell their products and services, SEO has become a vital part of their revenue-generating strategy.
Before you think of launching your SEO agency, you must gain enough knowledge and hands-on experience to survive in the competitive market. There are many companies out there providing SEO services. However, only a few of them are achieving their objectives. SEO feels and acts out rather strangely at times. Therefore, you must be ready to convert theoretical knowledge into real projects by working under an employer for at least a year.
Kick-starting Your SEO Consultancy Services
This article is for two types of people.
- Those who are fed up with their 9-5 jobs and want to start their SEO consultancy services.
- And those who are somewhat experienced but the stakes to run a business are too high for them.
You will be helping local businesses earn more customers by using digital marketing and SEO.
Start with local home services like a plumber or an electrician.
Doing proper SEO against a specific competitive keyword puts them on the first page. As a result, they start getting calls. The sense of being on the first page is like a dream come true. It is kind of magical to be there.
You can earn a lot of money by offering professional SEO services.
Most SEO companies in the USA charge from $500 – $1000 a month for a single project. It can even be higher than that.
Imagine if you get ten clients like that, you will be able to pay off all your debt and do the things you always wanted.
Let’s dive into the steps to start your SEO consulting business.
Before starting an SEO consultancy of your own, you must gain knowledge of the following areas –
Keywords hold primary importance in search engine optimization. Your SEO consulting & strategy is based on them. Keywords are words or phrases which people type in a search engine to find something they want.
Also, you need to be familiar with PPC (pay-per-click) like Google AdWords and Bing Ads. Although it is paid to advertise, you will know the terms that are more likely to attract customers.
Writing Quality Content
The SEO-friendly content must have keywords that you are aiming to rank. Also, you should be well-versed in a website’s on-page and off-page content. These two types of contents combine to boost a webpage’s ranking.
- Placement of Keywords. When you use the keywords in Meta title, article or blog title, subheadings and the body, it is a good practice. Update content on your website and everywhere regularly with hyperlinks pointing to the page you want to rank in Google.
- Google Analytics. It is a tool giving us the traffic insights of a particular website. Learning how to use it is beneficial concerning monitoring of traffic and identifying which keywords are attracting the most traffic.
- Quality Meta information brings in more visitors. It is not considered as a ranking factor yet, but it helps with the CTR (click through rate). If you have a compelling Meta title & description, users are left with nothing but to click on it. After the potential customers are on your page, the on-page data should be interesting enough to hold them there so the lead converts (buys your service).
Meta information is the blue links in Google search results with a little bit of description below. Search engines use them to identify pages. Therefore, it is essential for them to contain your focus keyword (targeted keyword) and LSI keywords. (LSI keywords: Search engine checks the search phrase against a set of related keywords. If you include LSI in title, description, and the body of the article, the search engine will consider your page highly relevant).
- Before you begin optimizing a website, create a checklist of errors that can affect a website’s performance. Some of the common errors can be long senseless URL addresses, links that do not work, typos, wrong English, and irrelevant image names.
- Become a social media guru. As an SEO person, you have to be good in all the departments including social media, blogging, on-page content, meta descriptions and ability to respond to comments.
- Creating backlinks for blog posts. It generates a lot of traffic. Maintain an active blog and then get links to point at it regularly.
- User-generated content leads to higher rankings. Try to write something interactive that sparks up a discussion. The more the engagement, the higher your page ranks. Users should be able to comment, like, and share your post. Moreover, dealing with reviews and customers calmly is a trait you need to learn. Keep calm even if you receive a bad review and answer them in the most comforting manner.
- Becoming a part-time developer. An SEO must know how to analyze the source code of a webpage. The basic HTML knowledge will help you mend any broken links.
Learning SEO is Fundamental to Start Your Own SEO Agency
- It is essential to learn SEO skills before you run an SEO company. And it may take a year at least to grasp the concepts and complex procedures fully. On the whole, working with an SEO company that has active clients can polish your skills and transform you into an SEO expert.
- You can attend conferences and seminars with the top SEO consultants on the invitation list. They will keep you inline with the latest trends and clarification of the concepts.
- Developing your SEO skills by offering free SEO consultancy to your friends and family comes highly recommended. Practicing SEO on your websites and those close to you will build the level of confidence you need to close business deals in the future.
- Build your blog. It will keep you current and highly relevant. It will also make you do research to write on the latest SEO techniques.
- Get Accustomed to the Business Side of Running a Company
- You can fuel your SEO consultancy services career by learning it from those already in the business. Although SEO doesn’t require you to have a marketing degree, a degree in conventional marketing will help you a great deal with online marketing.
- Apart from learning SEO as part of a team and at school, you need to know the basics of running a business. For that reason, signing up for a business course is a good idea. You can enroll in courses that involve bookkeeping, tax handling, finances and creation of business plans. These diplomas will give you a certain push in the right direction and a higher probability of success.
Carving out a Business Plan
- After equipping yourself academically and professionally, it’s time to make a plan. Your plan should include a 5-year summary of how you would go about your business regarding management, marketing, capital, ROI and other stuff. If you do it right, you can get a loan or investment from the bank.
- Create a website for customers to find you on the web. Make sure you are among the top 10 results for specific keywords. Give your business a name, an attractive logo and a tagline that sums up your services. You are an Internet marketing expert, and your expertise should reflect in your website rankings.
- Filing the required documents by the government for your SEO consultancy services is essential to legalize the business. Do not even blink twice to the law. All kinds of forms and certificates that your city or county requires should be submitted promptly.
Marketing Your Own Business
You have business cards and a website that is fully functional.
How do you market your brand?
It is time to do what you do best by putting yourself in the driving seat first.
- Try to rank your website for competitive keywords. Choose long-tail keywords instead of short, highly-competitive phrases. Your goal is to rank for keywords in your local town. For example, it can be a similar phrase to ‘SEO Company, Fresno’ or ‘SEO experts, Fresno.’ It is where everything begins usually. As soon as you are on the 1st page of Google, you will start getting calls, and new clients will show eagerness to hire your services.
- Run your business cards with the local businesses. Also, print out letterheads and have your logos on invoices. It is a part of conventional marketing that always works.
Don’t Charge too low for Your Services
Mostly, the newcomers are charging too little by the hour or on a monthly basis. Try to make a list of services you are offering to the potential clients and write down prices against each of them. Give them a presentation of your business process bringing them up to speed with their current business situation. Also, give them a fair idea of where they will stand after a couple of months if they hire your SEO consultancy services.
Sometimes higher prices attract corporate clients, who can pay you handsome fees.
SEO service packages attract potential customers, the most! Don’t forget to offer them discounted packages whenever you can. Everybody loves discounts! SEO services for small businesses should be part of your marketing campaign. It is a good start because once you rank them, the word gets out and the stage is set for the corporate clients to fall in line.
Build a Professional Team
Eventually, an SEO consulting business thrives on three key personnel. Quality web developers, graphic designers, and a team of SEO assistants. You can hire interns who are interested in the learning.
SEO consultancy services should not lack passion. Passion drives us to do just about anything. If you see something that is making a difference in the world, passion is at the heart of it. Therefore, be passionate about SEO if you want to run your own company. In the beginning, putting in more than 8 hours a day will set you up for good. If you can build a steady client-base, working hard would just become part of the routine.